Are Jesus' Commands Part of The Gospel?

The Apostle Matthew  writes, “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  Matthew 28:18,19,20

John Mark writes, “And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” Mark 16:15

Were they, in essence, saying the same thing?

Are Jesus’ commands part of “The Gospel?”

Are Making Disciples and Proclaiming the Gospel the same activity?

0 thoughts on “Are Jesus' Commands Part of The Gospel?

1. Jim Wright says:

If the “gospel” is the modern gospel of salvation, then these passages make no sense. If it is the gospel (good news) of the Kingdom, as Matthew says elsewhere, then it makes perfect sense.

The great commission as told by Matthew is to go and make disciples of all “nations” (ethne in Greek – which means cultures and ethnic groups). This is because Jesus has been “given all authority in heaven and in earth”. Thus, Jesus proclaims his Lordship over all of life and creation, and commands us to go into all spheres of human endeavor to transform not just individuals but whole cultures.

Likewise, Mark’s rendition of the Great Commission tells us to proclaim that gospel of the Kingdom (i.e., Christ’s total Lordship) to all creation – not just individuals.

BTW, the best ancient texts do not have this portion of Mark’s gospel, and it likely was added later. Even if that’s so, the addition would have been rooted in the prevailing understanding of the early church regarding the scope of the Great Commission.

Best ancient texts? I think, based on a preponderance of the evidence that Mark 16:9-20 was not added later. Here is an exhaustive treatment on the topic. Exhaustive Treatment… lol

My brain’s a buzz with the implications of your comment.

• Jim Wright says:

Thanks for the link to that article. I certainly would not make the status of the end of Mark’s gospel an issue of importance, given that there is nothing in the end of Mark that is contrary to the rest of scripture. I’m OK with using it, or not using it.

• Jim Wright,

For more information — and some thorough corrections of false and inaccurate statements about the evidence pertaining to Mark 16:9-20 which you may have encountered in some commentaries (by Metzger, France, Evans, Stein, etc.) — I encourage you to read my research-book “Authentic: The Case for Mark 16:9-20” which can be purchased at Amazon as a Kindle e-book, or, if you can’t afford that, write to me and request a digital copy.

A multi-part summary of the book begins online at
          http://www.curtisvillechristianchurch.org/MarkOne.html .

I have also made a few video-lectures on this subject; a simple search at YouTube for “Mark 16:9-20” should present them.

Yours in Christ,

James Snapp, Jr.
          james [dot] snapp (at) gmail {dot} com

• Jim Wright says:

Thanks, James. As I said to Miguel, this is not a big issue for me. There’s nothing in the end of Mark that is contrary to the rest of scripture, and I am open to it being part of the original text or not. Regardless, it is true that the earliest transcripts don’t include it, and many translations today make note of that. But I’m not going to build any doctrine around this issue one way or another. I generally will use some other primary proof text, and then note the corresponding concurrence from the end of Mark if relevant. But I know of nothing that stands or falls based solely on that portion of Mark.

2. Dennis Hesselbarth says:

I must be a bit simple or something. If the Good News excludes the things Jesus taught us, then it seems like to me that we’re in big trouble. Sorta left to our own devices. I thought that was a bit part of our problem. 😉

3. Katie Mather says:

No, Jesus’ commands are not “the gospel.” In Luke 4:18 Jesus said that the anointing is on him to delcare the good news (the gospel.) When Jesus started to give out the good news he declared in Matt. 4:17, “Repent for the Kingdom is near.” The good news is the good news of the Kingdom. All Jesus ever talked about was the Kingdom is like this and the Kingdom is like that. So he was really saying, “Change the way you think because there is a different Kingdom.” And then he demonstrated the Kingdom by casting out demons and healing the sick (Matthew 9:36). He told the disciples to declare the Kingdom is near, to heal the sick, raise the dead and to drive out demons, which is the good news of the Kingdom (Matthew 10:8). In Matthew 12:28 Jesus says that his driving out demons means that the Kingdom is upon you. And when Jesus was asked by the Pharisees in Luke 17:20 where is the Kingdom, Jesus said it is in you. The good news is the Kingdom. Jesus lived the Kingdom.

Katie, thanks for commenting.

If I may be so bold as to suggest that the Kingdom is only one aspect of “The Gospel.” As I’ve written before, I believe “The Gospel,” has these components or aspects:

(1) The gospel of Jesus Christ (Mark 1:1; 1 Cor 9:12) and the gospel of His Son (Rom 1:9). These two descriptions speak of the good news of salvation that comes through the person and work of Jesus Christ who is the very Son of God in human flesh. Again, this is a good news of deliverance from sin’s penalty, power and presence through the two advents of Christ.

(2) The gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24) emphasizes that salvation in all of its aspects is on the basis of grace rather than on some meritorious system of works.

(3) The gospel of the kingdom (Matt 4:23; 9:35; 24:14) is the good news that God has and will continue to establish His kingdom on earth.

(4) The gospel of peace (Eph 6:15) describes how this good news of salvation in Christ brings peace in all its many aspects (peace with God, the peace of God, peace with others, and world peace) through the victory accomplished by the Savior.

(5) The eternal or everlasting gospel (Rev 14:6) expands our perspective of gospel as we normally think of it. This gospel as proclaimed by the angel has several key elements of gloriously good news that are developed in the same chapter.

4. guy muse says:

Yes, Jesus’ commands are part of the Gospel. In making disciples, as commanded, Jesus instructs (commands) us to teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. To share the Gospel without teaching obedience to what He has commanded is a watered-down weakened Gospel. While I like your above comment of the Five Aspects of the Gospel, what I have often seen happen is that in the vagueness of what has become “sharing the Gospel” very little of what Christ actually commanded gets transmitted.

Some have said that the commands to “repent & believe” aren’t good news ( the gospel). Perhaps they’re right. But the fact that Jesus offers a way to repent & believe is certainly good news.