"Where do you get fed?" And by that, "I mean where do you go to church?"

More than a few times, and as recent as yesterday, people ask me where I get fed.  By that they mean, where do I attend church.  The question is loaded with assumptions and I usually find myself being evasive because it takes a while to explain.  But yesterday, I looked at the person asking and said, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.”

Then I questioned  myself, “Is that arrogant thinking?”  “Who am I to use Jesus’ own words describing His work that The Father sent Him to do and apply it to myself?”  Some might tell me that I need to check that attitude at the door, and preferably, the door of a church.

Was I wrong to respond in that way?  Is it prideful?  Is it presumptuous?

0 thoughts on “"Where do you get fed?" And by that, "I mean where do you go to church?"

1. Kirk Stephens says:

If I understand correctly, the church, or the Mindo version of it, assembles at your house, for teaching, for worship, for fellowship, for Claudia’s home cooking. You’ve discipled disciples who are teaching others. You’re answer wasn’t arrogant, you immerse yourself in scripture, books by other evangelists, blogs too, that make you work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, with the full realization, that we can never take God, or His gift of grace for granted, that we need to daily remind ourselves not to be conformed to the world, to prostitute ourselves to covetness, or worse. Seems to me you take your feeding seriously and are happy to be reprimanded by your wife when your head gets too big. Humility……………it’s what’s for dinner:)

Not prideful or presumptuous at all. The Bible says Jesus is our example. If we can’t be Christlike (like Christ), then how is He to be our example?

To me, “getting fed” is what babies do. It’s necessary for a while, but eventually, one is expected to grow up, and feed themselves. After which, they are expected to get a job, and earn the money for, and buy the food for themselves. Baby Christians “get fed”, toddlers “feed themselves”, but a mature Christian knows how to get food from “the source” themselves.

I’d say the arrogance is in the asking of the question “Where do you ‘get fed’?”

• Frank Prescott says:

Good point. Reminded me of Heb. 5:12 (HCSB) Although by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the basic principles of God’s revelation again. You need milk, not solid food.

3. Neil says:

I think the answer to the question is quite simple:-you have the opportunity to ‘get fed’ wherever and whenever you meet with other Christians. The only way that wouldn’t happen is if you focused o much on ‘providing for others’ that you get too exhausted to ‘get fed’ yourself; which can happen. But probably doesn’t that often.
    A church is any group of Christians that meets on a regular enough schedule to build relationships and support each other-as long as you let God in. If you just meet to watch TV or play games and have no opening to build your relationship with God, that’s probably not a church-but if there are 2 or 3 believers, it could become one. I remember reading an article about a cell church, which started as one group meeting in a house and grew to several hundred. The thing I remember about the article is that they were still structured around meeting in houses, and they wouldn’t let anyone move into a position of leadership unless they were in a cell group that they weren’t leading-they thought it was essential to have some time where you could guarantee you would continue to ‘get fed’, as it were. That impressed me so much as a principle it stayed with me.

4. chosenrebel says:

I don’t think it is arrogant at all. Actually, I think it is the best one sentence answer I have ever heard. I think there are other legitimate answers that do go in helpful directions.

They may be asking, who do you read?
    They may be asking, where do you go to spend time alone with God?
    They may be asking, who is your mentor? Who builds into your life? Who is your Paul?

All of those are worth exploring with a person who is interested in how our inner life is sustained.

But I love your answer. In fact, I’m going to steal it.

5. wbmoore says:

I get fed at the same table I feed my family at. Studying for myself and my family feedseuch mire than church does, although church ca be nice.

6. Tom Schultz says:

The context explains why Jesus called it ‘food’:
    John 4:31-38(NET) Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, “Rabbi, eat something.” But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.” So the disciples began to say to one another, “No one brought him anything to eat, did they?” Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to complete his work. Don’t you say, ‘There are four more months and then comes the harvest?’ I tell you, look up and see that the fields are already white for harvest! The one who reaps receives pay and gathers fruit for eternal life, so that the one who sows and the one who reaps can rejoice together. For in this instance the saying is true, ‘One sows and another reaps.’ I sent you to reap what you did not work for; others have labored and you have entered into their labor.”
    This also explains that the disciples were entering into the labor, so I would suggest the justification for applying Jesus food analogy to us comes directly from Jesus.

The NT seldom uses ‘food’ in a figurative sense. Oddly enough, the one place that refers to ‘spiritual food’ refers to the Israelites being destroyed in the wilderness!
    1 Corinthians 10:3-5(NET) and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they were all drinking from the spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ. But God was not pleased with most of them, for they were cut down in the wilderness.
    Paul says Christ was the rock, but the eating did them no good! I wonder if our present day ‘spiritual feeding’ fits the analogy?

7. Peter says:

I think chosenrebel gave a good response in that the question asked of you can have many different meanings that would benefit from further discussion.. I also think your response may have been accurate and at the same time easily misunderstood. If it was misunderstood by the person who asked and you didn’t clarify, then it would be uncharitable.

Whether or not your response was arrogant and prideful is a heart check that only you and the Holy Spirit can determine, It wasn’t inherently arrogant, only easily mistaken as such.

8. Peter says:

It was not an arrogant statement at all, brother. Instead, it was a glorious statement of our position in Christ! We are the Body of Christ and that means that we are Christ. The Body and the Head are altogether One. The only thing that I would change about your statement is, “Our food is to do the will of him who sent us and to accomplish his work”. We all eat at the same table and share in the same Food.

9. That was a spot-on response, and one I use. Usually it disarms the person I am speaking to, because 9 times out of 10 their question is a loaded one with an ulterior motive.

Now, if folks want to ask me if I am activelu engaged in fellowshipping with other believers…well now, that is a different blog topic altogether.

10. Alan Knox says:

“Was I wrong to respond in that way? Is it prideful? Is it presumptuous?”

I don’t know your motivation or your heart, so I can’t answer those questions.

“Where do I get fed?” Wherever I am when I willing hear and submit to what God is teaching me.

-Alan

“Was I wrong to respond in that way? Is it prideful? Is it presumptuous?”

your answer is in the asking.
    If you are asking the question that we also may be reminded/provoked to speak the truth, then your response is sound and from God.

however, if you ask because in some way you are looking for affirmation from men, then almost certainly you have spoken with presumption or pride: “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.”

12. Dorih says:

He is my bread of life. If I listen and do what he says my spirit is fed. I can hear him alone, as well with others… Maybe the question should be are you hungry spiritually and what is sustaining you brother?