A Little Theological Exercise: Where is the Physically Resurrected Jesus?

Where is the physically resurrected Jesus?

Physical?  You mean He has a body?

Well, does that mean Jesus is spatially located somewhere?

Well, then how can Jesus “be in my heart?”

Technically, He can’t.

What do you mean technically?

Paul the Apostle, when speaking to a group which complicated the gospel, said, “And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”  Galatians 4:6

So then, when people say I need to “accept Jesus into my heart,” they’re saying something wrong?

That’s for you to decide.

OK, but… where is Jesus now?

~

How would you answer that question?

For related articles see:

So, What’s wrong with a Crucifix?

“If you died tonight…?” – Might Just be the Wrong Evangelism Question.

Christians Make More Bacon than Disciples

0 thoughts on “A Little Theological Exercise: Where is the Physically Resurrected Jesus?

At the right hand of the Father? Off the top of my head that’s what I’d say.

2. Peter says:

He is both at the right hand of the Father and in our spirits. He became the Life-giving Spirit to enter into us. At the same time, we have believed into Him and we are seated at the right hand of the Father with and in Him. Every time we turn to our Spirit we are enjoying Him who is the Reality. A good earthly shadow of the Reality in Christ, is electricity. I have electricity in my house, lighting my light bulb. Yet, at the same time, the same electricity is at the power plant. The Spirit of Jesus Christ is like that electricity. He is both mingled with our human spirits and in the heavenly places.

3. Tom Schultz says:

John 14:16-17(NET) Then I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever — the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he resides with you and will be in you.
    John 16:5-7(NET) But now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you is asking me, ‘Where are you going?’ Instead your hearts are filled with sadness because I have said these things to you. But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I am going away. For if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you.
    Hebrews 1:3(NET) The Son is the radiance of his glory and the representation of his essence, and he sustains all things by his powerful word, and so when he had accomplished cleansing for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.
    Hebrews 10:12-13(NET) But when this priest had offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, he sat down at the right hand of God, where he is now waiting until his enemies are made a footstool for his feet.
    Acts 7:55-56(NET) But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked intently toward heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. “Look!” he said. “I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”
    It seems pretty clear that the second person of the trinity is at the right hand of the Father and who we have ‘in our hearts’ is the third person, the Holy Spirit. I love the verses in Acts where Stephen saw Jesus STANDING…I wonder if He got up specifically to welcome him home…the rest of the time Hebrews has Him sitting.

Well ya gotta stand up once in a while! Thanks for doin’ the homework for us Tom. That’s what I thunk.

4. ahmed says:

well if you knew the islamic version of the story you’d answer it straight away…

it goes something like this.. God is ONE and is indivisible and has no child or spouse or relative …

JESUS is one of MANY prophets, he wasn’t killed , wasn’t crucified but GOD LIFTED JESUS to the skies where he remains remains to be sent back to earth when the false mesiah appears

GABRIEL is one of MANY angels that all serve GOD

Not sure that made any sense but you can google it and you’ll find all the answers

5. Aidan says:

Jesus always existed before he ever descended to live in flesh. Therefore he lives in my heart in the presence of the Holy Spirit while his body is in another realm, alive and kicking. I guess that other realm is paradise as he said to the thief dying on his right “today you will be with me in paradise”.

6. Henk says:

We have been taught to pray: “Our Father, who art in heaven….”

Why not “Our Father, who art omnipresent”? Because then He would have been part of creation, even the whole of creation, but not more than it or outside of it.

The prayer reminds us that our Father is living in an eternal state of being, in an uncreated “place”, in “impenetrable light”, as Paul said. He is incorruptible. One God in Three Persons. From this state of being, the Son came into creation, and went back, giving us an inheritance in heaven. The inheritance is Himself, since He represented us in His life on earth, his death and resurrection, and now represents us in His intercession.

After His resurrection He could be touched, He ate food ans socialized. But also He wasn’t bound by time and space and physical limitations as we know it, anymore. “Filling the whole of the universe”, as human, “sitting” (metaphor for royal authority) at the right hand (metaphor for eternal favor) of the Father.

This is eternal life, of which the Spirit, the Guarantee who lives in my heart, makes me an heir even while I’m living here.

7. Alexa says:

It was interesting that Tom pointed out that Stephen, the first martyr, saw Jesus “standing” as he was about to be taken into heaven. Jesus “sits/stands” in a couple of other places, as well, in relation to receiving His kingdom:

(Rev. 14:1) “Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.” (NIV)

(Psalm 110:1) Of David. A psalm. The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.” (NIV)

So, I would say He’s seated at the right-hand of the Father.

8. Dan B. says:

At the right hand of the father, or, depending on the timing, on a white horse, or somewhere in between.