I'm 76.5% Completely Sold Out To Jesus!

sold-out-signI love it when someone asks me if I’m “100% Sold Out To Jesus.”  Well, I don’t really love it, but it is an interesting provocation.  Actually, it smarts just a little.  I suppose this sort of introspection is healthy at times, but I think it’s based on a lie.  The lie is that one can be 100% sold out to or committed to Jesus.  Are you completely, radically, and one hundred percent sold out to Jesus?

Are you finished being sanctified?

Are you without sin?

Does your devotion to Jesus never wane?

Does asking this question of others help them?

Is there a better way to get at the biblical idea of being “100% Sold Out To Jesus?”

Is it ok not to be 100% completely sold out to Jesus?

0 thoughts on “I'm 76.5% Completely Sold Out To Jesus!

1. Carlos says:

Miguel,

I think that you are perhaps misunderstanding the nature of the question. I don’t go around asking people if they are 100% sold out to Jesus but I DO ask people if they are fully surrendered to Him which I suppose could be construed as the same kind of question.

What I mean and what I suppose is meant by these types of questions is NOT whether one is perfect. None of us are.

What is meant is whether or not there are areas in our lives where we are not yielded to God as Lord.

To be sold out to Jesus is to not knowingly resist Him in any known sin.

It is to be yielding to Him in every area of our lives that we know of.

I am not talking about unknown and as yet unconvicted sin. I am talking about known areas where His will has become known to us.

Are we given over to obey Him in those areas? Or are we resistant and unwilling to yield.

If the Holy Spirit does not bring anything to mind where it can be said that we are resisting God then we can rightfully say that we are surrendered to God fully.

If there is some area where we are being resistant or outright rebelling against God’s will then we cannot say so.

This is also not about being a Christian or not in that Christians can at times fall into not yielding to God BUT for EVERY Christian, in order to meet the biblical definition of a Christian (which is to be a disciple), there would have been a point in their lives where they surrendered to God by faith in the work of the cross. Where they let go of self and known sin and yielded to God fully as far as they knew how.

I ask the question I do when sharing the Gospel because it often helps in differentiating between those who believe in Jesus in their heads only (what I call intellectual assent) and are not Christians from those who have actually exercised faith in Christ and given their lives to God.

So again…100% sold out to Jesus is a misnomer in that it does not imply that one can be 76% or 99% or whatever percent. It’s either that you are sold out to Jesus 100% as far as you know (there is no area that comes to mind where you are not) or you are not.

It’s an all or nothing question. You are either sold out to Jesus and trust Him or you are not and do not trust Him.

Carlos

the question is posed/framed for effect rather than cause. instead, suggesting…

Q. Are you 76.5% purchased by the Lamb of God, Jesus?

Matthew 5:29; 18:9; Mark 9:47 example for how less than 100% would be possible.

Q. Finished being sanctified?
    A. Yes. Jude 1:1 (many other New Testament references; not confusing “sanctified” with “maturity”)

Q. Are you without sin?
    A. [another question framed for effect rather than cause]
    No longer practicing or willful in sin [I John 5:18, etc.]

Q. Does asking this question of others help them.
    A. Likely not. If/when someone isn’t 100%, we would be more honest to just speak to them of it instead of couching within interrogative.

Q. Is there a better way… [answered within above]

Q. Is it ok not to be completely… in Jesus?
    A. Well, as much as we may consider it “ok” to be, say, 76.5% married to a spouse.(?)

3. Nige says:

It is in the antimony of aiming to be completely sold out to Jesus and the reality of every choice that we make that the Holy Spirit enables us to grow into maturity.

4. Tom Schultz says:

Perhaps it is “sloppy agape” to suggest that someone can be OK in God’s eyes while not being “fully” surrendered…sold out… committed…whatever term you prefer. Still, I find the concept offensive because it makes the Christian walk into a work, with no room for future growth.
    I don’t know what 100% sold out should look like, but I fear those who claim that status are dangerous to be around…they may go off in whatever direction they imagine ‘the Spirit’ is leading with no consideration of other obligations or responsibilities. While Jesus spoke of abandoning father & mother to follow Him, Paul spoke of how a married person had a divided loyalty (and that was apparently OK). Peter claimed he was sold out just before the crucifixion, and events proved otherwise…still God seemed to have room for him.
    Personally I think Jesus can work on my remaining 23.5% quite patiently without rejecting any of His children who have not reached 100%.

• Carlos says:

Tom,

Whatever you and I may think about the matter the fact, the biblically fact, is that to become a Christian in New Testament times entailed an all out surrender to follow Jesus as the Messiah and as Lord.

The demands of Jesus for becoming a disciple were the requirements for becoming a Christian. One who is willing to put what they say about what they believe into practice by following Christ with all their heart.

That isn’t salvation by works at all. It is salvation by faith. Real faith. Saving faith.

Not the “faith” of today which seeks to add Jesus and the benefits of forgiveness to a self-centered life at no cost.

Who doesn’t want a ticket to heaven that costs nothing and requires nothing but an intellectual assent to certain truths about Jesus?

Jesus nor the New Testament Christians preached such a perverted message.

For them, becoming a Christian was an all or nothing proposition.

That’s not my opinion. That’s biblical truth.

Carlos

I couldn’t have said it better Carlos.
        Bottom line is, Jesus said two things when presented with this. He said “Neither do I condmn you”, then He said “Go, and sin no more”.

It’s just like so much of the Bible. It’s not one or the other, it’s both. It’s the whole of the Bible put together, not taking one verse here, and one verse there, and inserting a little of our own personality, and boom! Brand new doctrine! Let’s split the church, and be the kind of Christian WE want to be instead of the kind of Christian HE wants us to be. It’s the WHOLE thing with the Holy Spirit of God added to it, and us following Him.

less than 100%
    “Jesus, I’m not entirely convinced about letting You handle this…”